I just added a new Barbie sewing pattern to my shop. And to make it even more fun, everything in my shop is on sale. But hurry! Because the sale ends April 30!
I fell in love with this vintage designer handkerchief by Fendi; the colors are amazing! I paired it with green Dupioni silk for the waistband and side drape. Available now in my Etsy shop.
It’s becoming rather difficult to find Susy Goose Barbie pianos, so when I can, I snatch them up. Manufactured in Jonesville, Michigan, in the early 1960’s, these little gems have charming details. Often, however, the music box no longer works, the flocking inside has disintegrated, and accessory pieces like the photo frame, candelabra, and music stand are broken or missing. So I enjoy fixing them up and giving them new life.
I’m not exactly sure how many of these pianos I’ve repainted, but this is the definitely the most colorful. After a good soak and scrub in hot soapy water to remove the flocking, I started with a base coat of green chalk paint for primer. Chalk paint will stick to practically anything! Then I painted a couple coats of my base color of ocean green. The carvings are accented in gold, metallic emerald green, and metallic raspberry with a pearl white overcoat. I added green cameos in the oval frames on each side of the piano where the stickers were. I made a new music stand from wood and brass stampings, since the original was missing. Then I sealed the whole piece with Minwax polyacrylic sealer. I replaced the beat up mirror above the keyboard and the missing mirror inside the lid. Then I added a new silk cushion to the bench. Some sheet music, a picture frame, and candelabra complete the piece.
This beauty is available now in my Etsy shop.
I did some cleaning and found a bunch more outdated Hankie Chic calendars. What better way to recycle than to use the photos from my calendars for Barbie’s house. So I’ve made some more table top framed Barbie photos to use in Barbie dioramas. And this time I made enough to share. These little pictures are available now in my Etsy shop.
I finally finished my flower shop. It all started with a Glitter Girls Sweet Shop. Almost every surface has been refurbished with paint or paper. The curtains are simply pieces of antique lace glued in place. I used scrapbook paper for wallpaper. The seat cushion is recovered with a scrap of fabric I had in my stash. The flower buckets are Solo cup shot glasses. Some raw brass stamped corners dress up the shelving unit. And the lollipop holder now holds stems of roses. The flowers are a combination of millinery flowers, paper, fabric, and clay that I’ve collected over the years. Now I need to figure out a backdrop for the shop … all of my usual backdrops are too small.
I’ve just added a new sewing pattern to my shop, and, for a limited time, it’s on sale. This pattern will fit a variety of 12” fashion dolls from Silkstone Barbie to Poppy Parker and Victoire Roux.
I’ve got a bit more done on the flower shop. I finally figured out what to do with signage in the lollipop holder and on the side of the building … which then led to me redoing the overhead sign to match. I’ve got a picture sitting in the frame where the flamingo was … haven’t decided if it’s permanent yet or not. Considering making that an oval clock. I also made tiny little tags for the flower buckets with the shop name. Still to do: wallpaper, curtains, and recover the cushion on the window seat.
This dress is sewn entirely by hand from a silk Barbie scarf and pink silk fabric. Available now in my Etsy shop.
I was so inspired by the brunbellebarbie.com Glitter Girls sweet shop transformation that I purchased a used sweet shop on eBay to refurbish myself. For the last couple of weeks, I’ve spent a couple hours a day cleaning, painting, and sealing virtually every surface. I was able to pull off the plastic wallpaper. One side was just on with double sided tape; the other side was glued on and left residue behind. So I am planning to wallpaper again when I can get to a store with a nice selection of scrapbook paper. Once the wallpaper is up, I also plan to add lace curtains.
I removed the flamingo bust and plan to replace it with a picture or sign. Still trying to decide what to do with the lollipop display.
I’ve decided to make this a flower shop instead of a sweet shop, since I have so many flowers. So I found some little red shot plastic glasses that I painted pink to use as flower buckets. For the shop sign, I used a wood plaque, random wood pieces, some scrapbook paper, and foam letters that I painted gold. I hope to finish the project in the next week. Stay tuned for more pictures.
The Grant a Wish Barbie Convention was canceled again this year due to the pandemic, but they’re planning an online auction later this spring to support their charities. Here are some photos of my auction donation. This is the new Pink Collection Silkstone Barbie with a model muse body. I’ve replaced her pink scrunchie with a pink tiara and she now has rhinestone stud earrings. Her dress is sewn entirely by hand from a silk Barbie scarf and pink silk.
I’ll let you know auction details as soon as they are published.