New backdrop

I’ve been working on a white paneled backdrop for some time now. I kept trying different options for the panels, but I wasn’t in love with them. So I ordered some more Japanese chiyogami paper and bought some dollhouse molding and small wood appliques.

I started by painting a piece of plywood. Then I used some Modge Podge as wallpaper paste to adhere the paper to the board. My rotary cutter worked great to cut mitered corners on the molding. Then a lot of measuring and gluing.

The wall sconces are hooks with crystal tips placed on top of a knob backing. I found them at Hobby Lobby.  The hooks were silver, but an oil based Sharpie paint pen changed them to gold.

Next I need to make a hardwood floor. I have some popcicle sticks …



Affordable rhinestone earrings for fashion dolls

A few weeks ago, I wandered down a random aisle at Hobby Lobby and found the perfect earrings for my fashion dolls. They are actually sold as sequin pins, but the post is plastic with a rhinestone at the tip. They fit my Silkstone Barbie perfectly, while protecting her from the dreaded green ear.

The pins come in a package of 100 (50 sets of earrings!) for $2.99. Quite a steal! And you get an assortment of clear, black, red, light blue, green, and dark blue.

Don’t bother checking their website because the item is out of stock at the moment. So you’ll have to check your local store … and get there before I do!

They also have colored plastic sequin pins with a plain ball at the end that also work well as earrings. See photos below.


2018 Hallmark Keepsake ornaments

This weekend marked the debut of the 2018 Hallmark Keepsake ornaments. Our local Hallmark store had some special promotions for Gold Crown members, so I stopped by to see if there were any cute Barbie size minis.

There were too many choices! I walked out the door with 3 ornaments but could have just as easily bought a dozen.

Here are the ornaments I purchased. The skipper doll in her original box, a tray of Christmas sweets, and a cute corgi puppy running off with the Christmas tinsel.


And here are some other tempting choices. The snowcone machine was a little pricey but oh, so cute. The guitar is the perfect size for Barbie. Soda Shop Barbie was cute. The tray of Halloween sweets includes candy apples, candy corn shaped cookies and glittery spider candy. The Playdough jar, car, and Santa figurine are all from their mini collection and would look nice in a toy store diorama. And I almost picked up the kitten in the box of Christmas ornaments. Might have to go back for that one!



Assembling new backdrops

I’ve fallen in love with this Etsy shop: ChibiJaySupplies. They feature authentic Japanese yuzen paper. Yuzen (also known as chiyogami) paper is individually hand silkscreened by artists in Japan — and it’s gorgeous! The best part is, they sell it in sheets up to 18” x 24” — the perfect size for backdrops. And it’s shipped rolled in a tube so you don’t have to worry about fold lines.

I decided to use the paper for new backdrops. I sent hubby on a search for MDF board at our local lumber yard but the only sell uncut 8’ sheets. So they referred him to the local custom cabinet shop who gave him 18” x 24” scraps for free! Then I simply used a chip brush to paint a thin layer of Modge Podge on the board, rolled out the paper and smoothed it down. Some dollhouse baseboard trim from Hobby Lobby finished it off. And I did both sides of two boards, so I now have 4 new backdrops.







Turquoise and gold


Daisy Ring for Barbie & Victoire Roux

This is a custom order … still continuing our theme of bubble dresses.


If you want a bubble dress but you haven’t been quick enough to get to my shop before the latest dress sells, just send me a message from my Etsy shop and let me know what colors you like. I still have quite a stock of round hankies to make up and I can send you photos of hankies to choose from.