Mod Schoolgirl for Barbie and friends

I had a request to make a couple of 1960’s mod dress patterns. Usually, I draw inspiration from the 1940’s to the early 1960’s, with my sweet spot somewhere around 1956-57 when so many interesting details were happening in full skirts. I looked through my stash of vintage Barbie sewing patterns and did find a few with those angled darts indicative of that ‘60’s mod era, but I was not happy with the fit (or lack thereof). So after a botched attempt, I went back to my own tried and true basic pattern and started from scratch. If you look closely, you’ll see I did incorporate a lightly curved empire seam for interest, and opted to make the sleeve part of the bodice piece for ease of sewing. And who doesn’t like a kicky beret to finish the look. Dress available now in my Etsy shop. Sewing pattern coming soon.

Inspiration photo
Finished dress by Hankie Chic

Customizing doll shoes

If you’ve purchased a dress from me recently, you know I always include a free gift with your purchase — usually a pair of shoes for your doll. I prefer pumps for that classic look, but I’ve settled for sling-backs, which are readily available to buy in bulk on Etsy. Black sling-backs are the cheapest and easiest to find, and recently, I’ve also been able to purchase red, pink, and purple in bulk (although at a slightly higher price than black). But what about for those of us who want blush, taupe, blue or green? I have been known to glue colored resin/rhinestone bows onto shoes, but lately I’ve been experimenting with painting black shoes with nail polish. I stuff a Q-tip into a shoe and start painting. My high-tech drying solution is to place the other end of the Q-tip into the hole of some stacked reels of ribbon. It generally takes 5-6 coats of polish and then I seal it with a topcoat. Not sure how these will wear over time, but so far so good. Hoping someone will make white sling-backs available in bulk soon!

Pocketful of Posies for Barbie and friends

I’ve just finished a new dress, inspired by several vintage sewing patterns from the 1950’s. I’m really getting into unusual necklines lately. But the best part is … pockets! Who doesn’t like a dress with pockets? Especially for our articulated dolls. This dress is sewn entirely by hand from a vintage Ralph Lauren handkerchief, coordinating pink polka dot fabric, and fully lined in China silk. Dress and hat available now in my Etsy shop. Watch for the pattern, coming soon.

Eloise for Barbie and friends

I’ve been working on a new sewing pattern inspired by a few different sewing patterns from the 1940’s-50’s. The skirt of the dress was inspired by this illustration.

I found the skirt so unusual, I just had to try it out. It’s essentially a straight skirt with a 1/4 circle inset on one side for some asymmetrical fullness. The dress is sewn from Liberty of London Tana Lawn fabric. Fashion includes the coordinating hat. Available now in my Etsy shop.