1:6 scale chair makeovers

Here’s the last of the doll furniture I was finishing up to take to the GAW Barbie Convention this year.

First up, two pewter pincushion chairs that I repainted gold. The seat cushions are made from a rich deep red Dupioni silk embroidered with gold leaves. I have 2 chairs available.

154119D0-8A15-4F76-B79F-863A9BC593CF

And next, I managed to snag two Barbie Fan Club chairs. I also painted them gold and made seat cushions from coordinating black petit point hankies.

679AC599-AA85-46CA-B1C0-09D69DDDE161

GAW Barbie Convention postponed

Well, I had a feeling it was going to happen … I got an email tonight from the hotel that my room reservation had been canceled since the event was canceled. And it was confirmed in the GAW Convention Facebook page.

So … over the next few days I’ll start listing the dresses I was going to take to convention in my Etsy shop. Stay tuned …

Painting day

I’ve been collecting some vintage Susy Goose Skipper furniture to refurbish and sell at the GAW Barbie Convention next month. I have 3 vanities and 2 beds (with another bed on its way). So far, I have them covered in 2 coats of white paint. Can’t wait for them to dry so I can pull out the accent colors! Gold, of course, and then I’m thinking I’ll do pink on one set, lavender on the 2nd set, and blue on the 3rd set. Stay tuned.

18E4596E-947A-474A-9BBC-39DB8DFCC1E2

Chair makeover

To go with my OOAK Barbie doll for the 2020 GAW Barbie Convention charity auction, I’m making a simple backdrop, as previously shown here. Since the theme of the convention is A Knight to Remember—and I’m making a princess doll—I decided she also needed a throne. I found this vintage doll chair in an antique shop. From my research, I believe the chair was made circa 1910-30, possibly in Germany. The chair was well made, but a little worse for wear. So a makeover was in order.

After some sanding and a couple coats of gold paint, I embellished it with some brass stampings. Then I made cushions covered in royal blue crushed velvet. Here’s the before and after.

B4F47A10-62CD-4A32-A398-863FCBCC6495

Backdrop project

I’ve been working on my auction doll for the GAW Barbie convention. The doll has been repainted, and the outfit has been made, but before I take photos, I wanted to create a backdrop to go with the doll. After Christmas, I found a faux window frame on clearance at Michaels. I decided attach it to a floor with L-brackets. Then the doll can stand on the floor and the whole thing can either hang on the wall or sit on a surface.

To make the floor, I started with a square of plywood. I picked up some edge banding veneer to make the hardwood floor at Menards. I simply cut “planks” to size with scissors, and then ironed them onto the plywood square with my iron. So much easier than using popsicle sticks! Once the flooring was ironed on, I used a stain marker to get the color I wanted. Now I just need to seal the floor and assemble.

9CD2B33D-E31A-45ED-A717-00AB92993FF633E89792-16B4-42BA-957A-055331AEC72D17071290-B405-4F8C-AB60-CD5E175B9EEC37F40C8E-67D9-457D-A564-9091A03C29BB