Floral Flounce for Barbie, Poppy Parker, and Victoire Roux

I drafted a new pattern this week. I was inspired by this mid-century sewing pattern, which I estimate to be from the early 1960’s.

For all you sewers out there, you know that bulky seams are to be avoided in miniature couture — they can really wreak havoc with the fit of the garment on such a tiny doll. So I decided to forgo all of the pleats on the inspiration pattern, but still give fullness to the silhouette with a gored skirt. As with any new pattern on such a small scale, I ran into a little hiccup the first time around. I originally cut the bodice and collar from the same hankie as the skirt, but I discovered I cut the collar too thin and I just wasn’t pleased with the finished look, so I didn’t complete it. Unfortunately, I had used all of the hankie the first go round, and I still had a perfectly good skirt to work with. So, I cut a new bodice and larger collar from white handkerchief linen and all was well. While the finished garment may look like a skirt and blouse, it’s actually a dress.

And yes, I do plan to publish this new pattern, but it will probably be sometime next week. In the meantime, this dress is now available in my Etsy shop.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s